NCEO helps students with disabilities, English learners (ELs), and ELs with disabilities by:
Collecting, analyzing, synthesizing, disseminating, and providing leadership on evidence-based information on inclusive assessments and comprehensive assessment systems.
Promoting the use of assessments for instructional decision-making purposes.
Assisting states in their efforts to support districts to improve results.
Reviewing the participation and performance of students in national and state assessments, including the use of accessibility features and accommodations and alternate assessments.
Examining national and state practices in reporting assessment information.
Supporting implementation of U.S. Department of Education accountability systems, including ESEA accountability and IDEA State Systemic Improvement Plans (SSIPs) and State-Identified Measurable Results (SIMRs).
Bridging general education, special education, English as a Second Language or bilingual education, and other systems as they work to improve results of education for all students.
NCEO focuses its efforts in the following areas:
- Knowledge Development on the participation and performance of students with disabilities, English learners (ELs), and ELs with disabilities in national, state, and district assessments and other educational reform efforts.
- Technical Assistance and Dissemination through publications, presentations, technical assistance, and other networking activities.
- Collaboration to build on the expertise of others and to develop leaders who can conduct needed research and provide additional technical assistance.
NCEO offers the following kinds of materials and services for state personnel, educators, parents, and others concerned with assessments and the educational outcomes of all students:
- An extensive list of publications that include reports and briefs, state activity updates, policy documents, self-study guides, and other tools.
- Principles to guide inclusive assessment systems.
- Recommendations for developing assessment policies and guidelines for participation, accessibility, reporting, and accountability that include all students.
- Current information on assessment projects and other efforts to collect data on the educational outcomes of all students.
- A national network of people who can assist states and other agencies as they consider assessment and accountability issues.
In Collaboration With
Applied Engineering Management (AEM)
Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO)
National Association of State Directors of Special Education (NASDSE)
West Ed (WestEd)
Martha Thurlow, Ph.D.
NCEO Associate Director
Sheryl Lazarus, Ph.D.
NCEO Assistant Director
Kristin Liu, Ph.D.
For Further Information:
National Center on Educational Outcomes
University of Minnesota
207 Pattee Hall
150 Pillsbury Dr. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455