This page contains a list of NCEO tools and trainings on a variety of topics relating to students with disabilities, English learners (ELs), and ELs with disabilities.
A set of tools designed by NCEO and states to address the 1.0% participation threshold for the alternate assessment aligned to alternate academic achievement standards (AA-AAAS).
- Developing a 1% Cap Waiver or Waiver Extension Request (NCEO Tool #1)
- Data Analysis and Use Planning Tool for Examining AA-AAAS Participation: Addressing the Percentage of Students Participating in the Alternate Assessment (NCEO Tool #2)
- State-District Data Display Templates: Addressing the Percentage of Students Participating in the Alternate Assessment (NCEO Tool #3)
- District Dialogue Guide: Addressing the Percentage of Students Participating in the Alternate Assessment (NCEO Tool #4)
- Frequently Asked Questions on AA-AAAS (NCEO Tool #5)
- Who Should Participate in Your State's Alternate Assessment? A Slide Presentation Tool for Administrators (NCEO Tool #6)
- Start with the End in Mind: An Infographic to Guide Decisions about Student Participation in the Alternate Assessment (NCEO Tool #7)
- A Five-Step Process for Developing and Reviewing District Justifications for Exceeding 1.0% AA-AAAS Participation (NCEO Tool #8)
- Reasons Why Students with Disabilities Should Take State Tests: A Customizable Template for a Flyer for Parents and Families (NCEO Tool #9)
- IEP Team Resource: Making Decisions about Participation in the Alternate Assessment (NCEO Tool #10)
- Student Profiles for Alternate Assessment Decision Making (NCEO Tool #11)
Guidance for Examining Disproportionality in Alternate Assessments
Data Analytics An online interactive series of reports that puts the power of data in your hands. View and compare data and read reports driven by current assessment and policy data.
Multi-Attribute Consensus Building Tool Step-by-step guidance on how to conduct a Multi-Attribute Consensus Building (MACB) session with educators, administrators, parents, advocates and other stakeholders. MACB is a structured decision-making process that asks small groups to generate, discuss and prioritize a list of items.
Online Training to Improve Accommodations Decision Making An online training that helps educators improve accommodations decision making. Educators are coached on best practices in how to select, administer, and evaluate the use of accommodations.
The Focused Approach Planning Guide: Tools to Improve Student Access HTML document / PDF format A set of planning tools that can be used to improve access of all students, including low-performing students with disabilities, to grade-level content.
Hints and Tips for Addressing Accommodations Issues for Peer Review Information and examples that states can use in responding to accommodation criteria in the Standards and Assessment Peer Review process, and to address the need for continued improvement after approval.
A State Guide to the Development of Universally Designed Assessments Test design strategies for accurately measuring the knowledge and skills of a diverse student population from test conceptualization and item construction, to field-testing, item reviews, statewide operationalization, and evaluation.
Universal Design Online Manual Steps that states can take to ensure universal design of computer and paper-based assessments. Including any step in the design and review of tests may improve the design features of a state assessment.
How to Develop State Guidelines for Access Assistants: Scribes, Readers, and Sign Language Interpreters A structured tool to assist in the development or enhancement of guidelines for access assistants (i.e., scribes, readers, sign language interpreters, page turners, transcribers, language translators).
Developing and Improving Modified Achievement Level Descriptors: Rationale, Procedures, and Tools HTML format | PDF format Procedures and tools to develop and continuously improve achievement level descriptors for alternate assessments based on modified achievement standards (AA-MAS). This is an archived report because this assessment option is no longer allowed.
Thinking About the Students Who May Qualify to Participate in An Alternate Assessment Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards (AA-MAS): A Tool for Study Groups HTML format | PDF format A tool to learn more about the characteristics of students who may quality to participate in an alternate assessment based on modified academic achievement standards (AA-MAS). This is an archived report because this assessment option is no longer allowed.
NCEO Data Viewer (archived) An interactive data reporting website with two databases covering the years 2002-2007.